Our talented team of Associates comes from varied backgrounds and experiences. Many of our Associates join us as laterals, after having gained experience at other firms or organizations, while some Associates join us as recent law school graduates, after having participated in our Summer Program. All of our Associates, however, share a commitment for excellence.
We strive to provide a holistic and realistic approach to support the ongoing professional development and advancement of our Associates. Our Associate Professional Development Program is led by our Director of Professional Development, who first joined the firm as a Summer Associate and became a Partner before transitioning to this role. Our current programs, developed in collaboration with Associates, Practice Group leaders and members of Firm management, including our Director of Inclusion & Diversity, include:
- Substantive Training & Continuing Education. Consistent with the needs of the Firm and our clients, the Firm expects all attorneys, including new Associates, to assume significant client-facing responsibilities quickly and capably. As a result, our Associates obtain significant and invaluable on-the-job training by working closely with experienced attorneys with varying styles and approaches. To supplement this practical, hands-on experience, we provide our Associates with formal training in a broad range of substantive topics via in-house programs and extensive external continuing legal education options. Associates can also sharpen their substantive legal and business skills via e-learning programs offered on-demand through vendors, like Practical Law and Hotshot, Inc.
- Core Skills & Competencies. Developed with input from our Associates, our Core Skills are customized to our Firm’s culture and expectations. As such, the Core Skills offer a balanced counterpart to our Associates’ substantive legal training and development. Throughout the year, we offer in-house seminars, workshops and speaker events on wide-raging topics, such as business development, law firm economics, and delegation. Associates also have access to an on-demand library of Professional Essentials modules from LawFirmElearning to further enhance the development of our Core Skills.
- Mentoring & Coaching. Given the size and culture of our Firm, many Associates quickly develop mentoring relationships with other attorneys in their Practice Groups. To supplement these Practice-Group-based relationships, we pair new lateral Associates with an Associate mentor in a different Practice Group. We are also in the process of developing a new model for a more formal mentoring program. We offer individualized coaching resources, both internal and external, to our Associates, as well.
- Engagement & Connection. The Firm is committed to helping foster connections and collaboration among all of our colleagues, but particularly so among our Associates. To this end, the Firm offers regular opportunities for Associates to connect with one another across Practice Group, both informally and formally, often multiple times a month and throughout the year. New in 2018, the Firm hosts an annual half-day Retreat for all Associates, providing a more concentrated opportunity for knowledge sharing, internal networking, and strategic planning.
- Leadership Pipeline. Our Associates represent the future leaders of the Firm. We encourage our Associates to grow their leadership skills from a wide-array of opportunities. For example, Associates may participate on the Associates’ Committee, comprised of Associates selected by Associates, which serves as a liaison between Associates and Firm management. Associates may also participate on any number of committees, like the Inclusion & Diversity Committee, the Pro Bono Committee, or the Technology Committee. Several of our Associates lead the Firm’s efforts for various public interest initiatives and serve as board members on charitable boards. The Firm supports Associates’ participation in external leadership development opportunities, as well, such as programs offered through the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, ACG, Y Boston, and the Women’s Bar Association of Massachusetts.
- Evaluations & Feedback. We strive to conduct formal performance evaluations for Associates on an annual basis. This process includes self-evaluations by Associates and evaluations by supervising Partners/Counsel. Associates receive their respective evaluations in advance of an in-person meeting with the Director of Professional Development and one or two designees from their respective Practice Group. At the meeting, we discuss not only the evaluations, but also their ongoing development goals. Throughout the year, Associates seek and receive informal feedback and guidance from Partners/Counsel with whom they work.
Recruiting, Onboarding & Benefits
Our Associate recruiting efforts are led by our Director of Professional Development. We are always looking to welcome high-performing and high-potential Associates to our team. One pathway to joining us as an Associate is through our focused Law Clerk & Summer Associate Program, and another is through lateral opportunities.
Recognizing that joining a new firm is a significant decision, we strive to make the recruiting process as transparent, seamless, and enjoyable as possible. Through the interview process, we want prospective Associates to be excited about the opportunity to plant roots with us.
All new Associates participate in an orientation program designed to introduce them to the Firm and to our team. We offer a formal mentoring program for all new Associates, whereby each new Associate is paired with an Associate, from a different Practice Group, who can assist with their integration to the Firm.
Our comprehensive benefits program is offered to all of our Associates who work 20 or more hours a week. In addition to offering competitive salaries commensurate with levels of experience and health/dental insurance for employees, spouses, domestic partners, and children, our benefits program includes bonuses for Associate origination, 401k deferrals and discretionary profit sharing, paid parental leave, backup child care and elder care, employee assistance programs, on-site wellness rooms, and many other features.